Air Fryer Onion Rings are perfectly crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and absolutely irresistible. They are just as delicious as any restaurant version, healthier and surprisingly easy to make at home!
- 2 large sweet onions
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs (you can sub in 2 flax eggs for a vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Dipping sauces of your choice, to serve
- Spray your air fryer basket lightly with olive oil spray.
- Slice the onions into ½” slices and separate the layers.
- You’ll need three large shallow bowls for the breading process. Add the all purpose flour to the first one, the eggs and milk/water to the second, and the panko and plain breadcrumbs to the third.
- Whisk the egg and milk/water together until it is well combined. Stir the plain and panko breadcrumbs together until they are well combined.
- Dip the onion rounds, a few at a time, into the flour followed by the egg and breadcrumbs, making sure to shake off any excess between each bowl.
- Add as many breaded onion rings as will fit in your air fryer in a single layer and cook at 400F for 10-11 minutes, or until the onion rings are golden brown and crisp on the outside. Repeat with the remaining onion rings.
- Sprinkle over a pinch of kosher salt and chopped parsley, if desired. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauces on the side.
- Store any leftover onion rings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Make sure to use sweet onions– yellow and white onions are a little too harsh for an onion ring.
I like the mix of plain and panko breadcrumbs – it helps create an even, extra crunchy shell but you can use all of one or the other if you don’t have both on hand.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer onion rings, crispy onion rings, easy onion rings