This Vegetable Alphabet Soup is QUICK and EASY to throw together with the option of using fresh OR frozen vegetables. It’s great from cold weather dinners and something kids will love!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced (more or less as desired)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme, chopped (can sub for dried)
- 8 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 pound of frozen mixed vegetables
- optional: 2 sticks of celery, diced*
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes in their juices
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of dry alphabet pasta**
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the garlic, onion, italian seasoning, sea salt, and thyme. Cook until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high and add in the broth, frozen vegetables, celery, bay leaf, diced tomatoes in their juices, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat to a gentle simmer and add in the pasta. Cook until the pasta is tender (check the box of the pasta you’re using for reference), about 20 minutes. Check pasta for doneness (cook to your liking) and when the pasta is done, remove the bay leaf.
- Sere immediately and ENJOY! I like to serve mine with fresh herbs and little bit of cheese (non diary works great as well or you can obviously leave the cheese off all-together).
- the celery is not at all necessary, but I just really love it in my soup and most frozen veggie mixes don’t include celery so I like to add it.
- see notes above in the blog post for suggestions if you can’t find alphabet pasta
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 10.5 g
- Sodium: 1204.4 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.6 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan soup, kids dinner, kid friendly recipe, alphabet soup