- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- heaping tablespoon of dried rosemary
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced into small pieces
- ~ 1 cup of shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 egg, whisked
- turbinado sugar for topping
To make the crust:
- Cut the butter into small chunks and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. Measure out the flour and buttermilk and also chill those.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the flour mixture and the butter into a food process and pulse several times until the butter has broken up into small little chunks (but is still visible).
- While pulsing on and off, slowly add in the buttermilk and continue to pulse slowly until it’s all combined. It’ll be really shaggy and will barely hold together unless pressed together tightly. If it seems to need it, however, add in more buttermilk a tablespoon at a time.
- Add in the rosemary and pulse a couple more times. At this point, the dough will likely resemble grated parmesan cheese. That’s okay.
- Gather the dough together into 2 balls of dough, pressing each one tightly together. Wrap in wax paper or saran wrap and put in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
- While that chills, prepare the filling by combining the diced apples, lemon juice, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once dough is ready, roll it out and cut out heart shapes. Taking half of the hearts, press them out so that they’re slightly larger than the other half of hearts.
- Taking 2 hearts (one regular and one pressed out a bit) fill the dough with ~1 tablespoon of apples and top with a layer of the cheese.
- Brush the edges of the bottom piece of dough with the egg wash and then seal the hand pies shut by crimping the edges. This can be done with a fork.
- Brush the tops of each pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Poke a few small holes in the top of each pie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.