These Artichoke bottoms are simple to make and come together with fresh artichokes! The filling is cheesy and delicious!
- 6 fresh Ocean Mist artichokes
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste (I usually just add a little pepper)
- Bring a large pot (big enough to hold all 6 artichokes- or else you can work in batches) of water to a boil. Meanwhile, prep the artichokes.
- Cut off most of the stem from the artichokes so that there’s about 1 inch left. Working your way around each artichoke, pluck off the bottom outer leaves of the artichoke down by the stem. I usually end up removing about 6-8 leaves. Trim off the top 1/3 of the artichoke (see video for reference).
- Remove the choke in the middle. To do this, use a large spoon, place it into the center of the artichoke, and scrape out the fuzzy parts and everything in the middle that aren’t the leaves.
- Place the artichokes in the boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes until the artichokes are tender and the stem is easily pierced with a knife. Once the artichokes are done, remove from the pot, making sure to drain out any excess water. Set aside to let cool to the touch.
- Make the filling by combining the parmesan, mozzarella, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest + juice, parsley, and salt + pepper. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Once the artichokes are cool, remove all of the outer leaves*. Cut the artichoke down so that you only have the heart and stem remaining (see video for reference!). Stuff the artichokes evenly with the cheese mixture and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the artichokes are lightly browned on top and the cheese is bubbling a little around the edges. Serve and ENJOY!
*The leaves are edible and can be consumed as desired. They just aren’t needed for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: artichoke recipes, artichoke bottoms, fresh artichoke recipe