These vegan lettuce wraps come together in one skillet and make for a simple and delicious meal!
- 3 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- 1 block of extra firm tofu (12–15 ounces), lightly pressed
- 2 teaspoons of canola or olive oil
- 8 ounces of cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 8 ounce can of water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 green onions (2/3 cup), thinly sliced and divided
- 8 large Bibb lettuce leaves (or other lettuce such as romaine) for serving
- shredded carrots for garnish
- In a small bowl, mix together the hoisin, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Combine and set aside.
- If you haven’t done so, lightly press the tofu (see my guide on pressing tofu HERE). Dry it off with a towel or paper towels.
- Heat the canola/ olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, crumble the block of tofu into small pieces directly into the skillet. Using a spatula, continue to break up the tofu as it sautees and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook for 3 additional minutes. The liquid from the mushrooms should mostly cook off and the tofu will start to turn a lightly golden brown. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onion. Cook for 1 additional minute.
- Pour the hoisin sauce mixture into the skillet and stir to combine so that everything is covered in the sauce. Cook for 1-2 additional minutes so that the sauce can heat through.
- Serve the tofu mixture into your lettuce leaves and topped with the shredded carrot. ENJOY!
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegetarian lettuce wraps, vegan lettuce wraps, tofu lettuce wraps