Learn how to make sushi rolls at home with this easy Avocado Roll recipe! Flavorful sushi rice is wrapped up with creamy avocado, and served with spicy mayo for a healthy, delicious vegan sushi roll.
- 2 cup of uncooked sushi rice* + 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 large avocado, thickly sliced
- 5–6 Nori sheets
- 1 large (or 2 small) carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ of a cucumber, thinly sliced
- Cook your rice according to package instructions (I made mine in the instant pot following THESE directions for how to cook it). Once done, place in a large bowl in the fridge to cool down. Once rice is mostly cool, mix in the rice vinegar and white wine vinegar and set aside.
- Assemble the sushi by placing a nori sheet on a sushi mat*. Spread 2/3 cup of the cooked rice over the nori sheet, leaving about 2/3 of an inch clean on one end (see video). Top with some of the avocado and any other veggies you’re using. Roll the nori sheet over top of the fillings and continue to gently and *tightly* roll the sheet until it’s all the way rolled up. Repeat with the remaining ingredients (I ended up with 5-6 rolls, depending on how I filled them).
- Slice into 1 inch pieces and ENJOY! I LOVE mine with a little sliced ginger and a touch of soy sauce.
*You want Japanese SHORT GRAIN rice. It has a distinctly sticky texture to it that is essential for making sushi. Long grain rice, such as basmati, will not work in this recipe (I’ve tried it!).
*this can be done without a sushi mat as well!
*For the spicy mayo, I simply mixed together equal parts mayo (vegan as desired) and sriracha
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Rolling
- Cuisine: Asian, American
Keywords: avocado roll, avocado sushi roll, avocado roll calories