Baked eggplant is combined with olive oil, tahini, lemon juice and garlic to create this delicious dip or spread. Serve with pita, crackers, or veggies for a flavorful, healthy appetizer.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup of tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the eggplant in half from top to bottom and then rub the inside with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place the 2 halves, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet and bake until they are fork tender– about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the eggplant to cool until you can handle them. Remove the flesh using a spoon and transfer it to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the remaining ⅓ cup olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. Pulse until the mixture is well combined– about 15 seconds. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
For a smoky flavor, grill the eggplants instead of baking them. Garnish with smoked paprika or sesame seeds if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Baba Ganoush, dip, snack