- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar, cut into small cubes
- 4–5 slices cooked bacon, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of chives, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus a few tablespoons extra if needed
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the cheddar, bacon, and chives into the flour mixture and stir well to combine.
- Add in the buttermilk and stir until thoroughly mixed together.
- On a floured surface, knead for 2 minutes. If the dough is overly dry and wont hold together, add in more buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time and continue to knead for a minute.
- Form the dough into a round loaf and place on the baking sheet. Cut a large X into the top of the loaf going about 2/3 of an inch deep.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on the outside and full cooked on the inside (test doneness by sticking a fork or toothpick into the center of the loaf).
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes