Baked Avocado Tacos w/ Roasted Veggie Salsa Author: B. Britnell
For the Roasted Veggie Salsa:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 bell peppers (i used green), finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of oil (olive or avocado)
- 4 cloves of garlic, left whole
- handful of cilantro
For the baked Avocado:
- 2 avocados, sliced into ~12 pieces per avocado (so 24 slices total)
- 1 tbs of oil
- 1/2 cup of plain unflavored almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbs of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
For Sriracha Mayo:
- 2 tablespoon of vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon of sriracha
- optional for garnish: lettuce, jalapeno, spicy sriracha mayo
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the chopped tomatoes, onion, and bell pepper on a lined (or lightly greased) baking sheet. Toss the veggies with about 1 tablespoon of oil and a sprinkle of salt and then spread out evenly across the baking sheet. Add in the cloves of garlic on the side and bake for 15 minutes.
- Leaving the oven on, remove the veggies and set aside to cool while you prepare the avocadoes.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the oil and the milk. In a separate shallow bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Dip each slice of avocado in the milk mixture being sure to fully wet it and then roll it around in the bread crumb mixture making sure to cover it on all sides. I found that gently patting the breadcrumbs into the avocado helped ensure that the slices were evenly coated.
- Evenly place the avocado slices on a lined or gently greased baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes in the oven.
- While the avocado is baking, finish the salsa by blending together 1/3 of the veggie mixture, all of the garlic, and a handful of cilantro. Mix that back in with the remaining veggies and put in the fridge until ready to use.
- Make the spicy mayo by mixing together the mayo and sriracha. Set aside.
- Make the tacos by spooning some of the salsa into a tortilla along with lettuce, jalapenos, and a few slices of the avocado. Top with the spicy mayo and ENJOY!!