Flavorful Baked Eggplant Parmesan is made with layers of sliced eggplant coated with an almond flour and Parmesan cheese mixture, marinara sauce and mozzarella, all baked to golden brown perfection. A vegetarian dinner option that always gets rave reviews!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- Ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, plus more for serving
- Crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and coat the parchment with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the almond flour, ½ cup of the Parmesan, the Italian seasoning, the salt, and a sprinkle of pepper.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs and water and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Dip each eggplant slice into the egg wash, then sprinkle the almond flour/Parmesan mixture over both sides. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray.
- Roast for 15 minutes, flip the eggplant slices, and continue roasting for another 15 minutes or so, until soft inside and golden and crisp on the outside.
- Spread 1 cup of the marinara in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and spread evenly. Add a layer of baked eggplant slices. Top with another 1 cup sauce. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella, ¼ cup of the remaining Parmesan, and about half of the basil. Add another layer of baked eggplant slices and top with the remaining 1 cup sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese, remaining ¼ cup Parmesan, and remaining basil.
- Bake until the top is bubbly and golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and ENJOY!
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, however the eggplant will lose some of its crispiness as it sits. Rewarm in the microwave or in a 350°F oven for 5-10 minutes.
We do not recommend freezing this dish. As it thaws, the high water content in the veggie will result in it becoming a bit mushy and soggy.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 820.7 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1 g
- Protein: 22.5 g
- Cholesterol: 78.8 mg
Keywords: eggplant parmesan, baked eggplant parmesan