Bananas Foster French Toast is made with thick slices of bread dipped in a cinnamon-flavored egg custard mixture, then they’re pan-fried until crisp and caramelized on the outside. After cooking, the bananas foster topping is spooned over the top. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup for a sweet breakfast option the whole family will be excited to see in the morning!
For the French Toast:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 8 thickly cut slices of bread (I used challah)
- cooking spray
- Maple syrup for serving
For the Bananas Foster topping:
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of rum
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 bananas, sliced in 1/2 inch coins
- 3 tablespoons of chopped walnuts or pecans
For the French Toast:
- In a large shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk lightly until fully combined.
- Over medium heat, spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Place the slices of bread in the egg mixture and let soak on each side for a few seconds. Sprinkle in more cinnamon to the mixture as needed (I find that a lot of the cinnamon gets stuck on the side of the dish sometimes).
- Cook the bread in the skillet for ~4 minutes on each side or until it’s nice and golden brown. Set aside.
For the Banana Topping:
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once melted, mix in the brown sugar, vanilla, rum and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer and then add in the bananas and nuts.
- Cook the bananas for 4 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until they’re caramelized on both sides. Be sure to watch the pan and gently move the bananas around a little so that they don’t stick.
- Spread the bananas evenly across the tops of the French toast. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and ENJOY!
If you happen to have leftovers, store the French toast and topping separately. Each will keep well in airtight containers, in the fridge, for up to about 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: French Toast recipe, Bananas Foster