- 2 Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets (they come in a pack of 3 but you only need 2)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup of warm (but not hot) water
- 1/8 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk (make sure you get plain and not vanilla etc!), I use almond milk
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced or crushed/ mashed
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- optional for topping: sea salt and softened vegan butter
- Using a food processor, puree beet until their in very small chunks about the size of rice.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, yeast, and warm water. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Into the same bowl (after the 10 minutes), stir in the almond milk, garlic, oregano, parsley, and olive oil.
- In a large bowl (preferably of a stand mixer) stir together the flour and salt. Pour the beet puree into the flour mixture and stir together rubbing the beets into the flour using the back of a spoon.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of the dry ingredients and beet mixture and mix until just combined (can do this by hand, with the paddle hook, or with a wooden spoon. It should begin to form a shaggy dough.
- Using the dough hook (or kneading by hand) knead the dough for 7-10 minutes on medium speed. It’s done once the dough begins to get smooth. If the dough is excessively sticking to the hook, sprinkle in a bit more flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into a ball, lightly grease it with olive oil, and leaving it in the same bowl, cover and let rise for one hour.
- Once done, on a well greased surface (I’ve found this easier than a floured surface) roll the dough out into a rectangle that’s 8 inches by about 15 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick. I use a gently greased rolling pin for the rolling.
- You want to cut strips that are 8 inches long and 1 inch thick.
- Taking 1 dough strip at a time, roll the dough gently and then make the knots according to THESE instructions.
- Place the rolls 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Place in a warm spot and let rise for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops just begin to brown.
- Once done, let cool slightly.
- Optional: brush the tops of the rolls with softened vegan butter and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt (SO GOOD this way!!).
- Prep Time: 2 hours 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 14 rolls