Cozy Braised Chickpeas simmered with sautéed onion and garlic in marinara sauce is a flavorful, healthy vegan stew recipe. This dish makes a wonderful plant-based dinner the whole family will love. Serve with yogurt and toast for the perfect meal!
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of finely diced yellow onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 4 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 15–oz cans of chickpeas
- 24-oz jar of marinara or your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 large handfuls of spinach, arugula and/or kale (I did a mix)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter together with the olive oil. Once hot, add in the onion and garlic and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring often so as not to burn the garlic.
- Mix in the chickpeas and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add in the marinara and rosemary and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes.
- Add in the spinach and stir until wilted, about 2 additional minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, serve, and ENJOY!
- Storing leftovers. Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to about 4 days.
- To freeze. Let it completely cool and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container (or multiple containers for meal prep purposes). Freeze for up to 2 months.
- To reheat: Let thaw in the refrigerator, then heat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chickpeas with tomatoes sauce, braised chickpeas, skillet chickpeas