This recipe for Buffalo Tempeh “Wings” is crispy chunks of tempeh baked (or fried) to perfection and coated in spicy buffalo sauce. Serve these tempeh “wings” with ranch dip for the ultimate party snack!
- 2 8-oz blocks of tempeh (about 1 pound total)
- 1 1/2 cups of buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup Panko style breadcrumbs, gluten free if desired
- Neutral oil for frying
- Optional for serving: 1/4 cup of extra buffalo sauce for brushing
- Break the tempeh into nugget-sized chunks and place in a shallow container. Cover with the buffalo sauce. Toss to fully cover in the sauce and place in the refrigerator to marinate for an hour (or even overnight).
- Place the Panko in a shallow bowl and the cornstarch in a separate shallow bowl.
- To bake: preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
To fry: heat 1 inch of neutral oil in a large heavy skillet until it’s about 350 degrees F.
- One piece at a time, remove the chunks of tempeh from the buffalo sauce and cover in cornstarch. Dip it back in the buffalo sauce to coat and then toss to cover in the panko breadcrumbs.
- To bake: place the tempeh pieces on the prepared baking sheet and spritz the top with cooking oil spray. Bake for 18-20 minutes, flipping halfway. They’re done when they’re golden brown on each side.
- To fry: place the tempeh pieces carefully into the HOT oil and fry on each side until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- OPTIONAL for serving: lightly brush a little bit of extra buffalo sauce onto the “wings”, serve and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake or Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buffalo, tempeh, wings