This crispy Buffalo Tofu makes a fun appetizer, snack or dinner option! This recipe is easy to make with chunks of tofu coated in buffalo sauce, breaded and then baked (or fried) to perfection. These tofu nuggets are completely vegan, easily made gluten free, kid-friendly and adult approved!
- 1 15-oz block of firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 1/4 cups of buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup of Panko style breadcrumbs, gluten free if desired
- Neutral oil for frying or cooking spray for baking
- Optional for serving: 1/4 cup of extra buffalo sauce for brushing
- Break the tofu into nugget-sized chunks and place in a shallow container. Cover with the buffalo sauce. Toss to fully cover in the sauce and place in the refrigerator to marinate for an hour (or even overnight).
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and the cornstarch into a separate shallow bowl.
- To bake: preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To fry: heat 1 inch of neutral oil in a large heavy skillet until it’s about 350 degrees F.
- One piece at a time, remove the chunks of tofu from the buffalo sauce and lightly cover in cornstarch. Dip it back in the buffalo sauce to coat and then toss to cover in the panko breadcrumbs.
- To fry: place the tofu pieces carefully into the HOT oil and fry on each side until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- To bake: place the tofu pieces on the prepared baking sheet and spritz the top with cooking oil spray. Bake for 18-20 minutes, flipping halfway. They’re done when they’re golden brown on each side.
- OPTIONAL for serving: lightly brush a little bit of extra buffalo sauce onto the “wings”, serve and ENJOY!
If you’re sensitive to spice, be sure to grab a buffalo sauce that is labeled “mild”.
These are best served immediately, however, if you do have leftovers, place them in an airtight container and store in your fridge for up to 2-3 days. Reheat in the oven or in an air fryer.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main or Appetizer
- Method: Bake or Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buffalo, tofu, fried tofu