This cashew tofu stir fry is simple to make and great for a delicious vegan dinner and even works for meal prep!
For the stir fry:
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into bite sized pieces**
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 cup of roasted and salted cashews
- Large head of broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces- about 4 cups
For the stir fry sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup of water/ broth
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- If you haven’t already done so, press your tofu to release excess moisture and cut it into bite sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and once hot, add in the tofu and toss in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Stirring about every minute, saute the tofu for about 8 minutes or until it’s a light golden brown color on each side. It might stick every so slightly but should form a nice crust on the outside of the tofu without sticking too much. Set the tofu aside on a plate while you cook the veggies.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat and saute onion for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger and broccoli. Add in ¼ cup of broth (just water works well too) cover and steam mixture. Add more water as needed and continue to steam the veggies until they’re nearly done but have a few minutes left.
- Make your sauce by whisking together the oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, broth, sriracha, maple syrup, and cornstarch.
- Stir in cashews and stir fry sauce and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the broccoli is tender and ready to eat. Stir in tofu once sauce has thickened and cook for 1 more minute. Serve and ENJOY!
*I like to serve mine with white basmati rice (HERE is how I cook it in my instant pot) but this is also great with quinoa, brown rice, cauliflower rice, or even just on it’s own.
**It’s important that you use extra firm tofu and that you press out the excess moisture. If you don’t, the tofu will end up a little mushy and the excess moisture will likely cause it to stick to the pan
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan dinner, vegan stir fry, cashew stir fry