- 4 cups of veggie stock or broth
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 of a sweet onion, finely chopped in cups = heaping half cup
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups of arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded zucchini, about 1 large or 2 small
- 1 ½ cup of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a medium saucepan, heat the stock so that its just warmed through and at a VERY minimal simmer. Keep on the heat until needed.
- In a large pot over medium low, heat the butter until just melted and then add in the onion and cook until it is just translucent which is about 8 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add in the risotto rice, salt, and pepper and let cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently to let the rice get to the point that it’s almost frying and the rice becomes a bit translucent. (this might seem strange but go with it…it gives the rice a nice bite)
- Add in JUST ONE ladle full of the stock and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and let simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Repeat this until all of the stock has been added being careful to not add more stock until the previous ladle-full has been almost completely absorbed. At the same time that you add the last bit of stock, stir in the shredded zucchini and stir to combine.
- You can cook the risotto so that most/ all of the liquid has been absorbed OR you can stop cooking the risotto so that there’s a decent amount of liquid remaining. I cook most of the liquid out of mine.
- Once off of the heat, stir in the cheese until it’s fully incorporated.