These Vegan Chicken Sandwiches are simple to make and absolutely delicious!
- 1 15–oz block of tofu, pressed*
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2/3 cup of veggie broth
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 cup of plant based milk
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of golden flaxseed meal
- Optional 2–4 tablespoons of hot sauce
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- hamburger buns
- ketchup, mustard, etc
- lettuce, tomato, etc
- Drain and press tofu according to these DIRECTIONS. Once pressed, cut the tofu into 4 large pieces (see video for reference).
- In a shallow dish, whisk together marinade ingredients. Add in the tofu and let marinate for 15 minute or even overnight.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the buttermilk and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove the tofu from the marinade (squeezing very lightly to release excess liquid- a little is totally fine and you don’t need to remove all of it) and add it into the buttermilk mixture (you can do this in stages as desired). Let sit for a few minutes while you make the breading.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat enough oil so that it will come up roughly halfway up your pieces of tofu (about 1/2 an inch of oil).
- In a shallow dish, whisk together all of the breading ingredients. Dip a piece of the buttermilk soaked tofu into the breading, covering on all sides. Dip it back in the buttermilk and then again cover it in the breading.
- Place the breaded tofu directly into the hot oil and cook for 3 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes so that the pieces are a nice golden brown color all around. Once done, place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up excess oil.
- Serve on bread as a sandwich or cut into thin strips and serve on a salad! ENJOY!
*You can also freeze your tofu prior to making this recipe to enhance the meaty texture. Read more about freezing tofu HERE.
*Once the tofu pieces are completely cooked, you can freeze them for quick and easy meals later! Just freeze in an air tight container. When ready to eat, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
*Nutritional info is for the cooked tofu + hamburger buns but no toppings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: fried
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 544
- Sugar: 6.1 g
- Sodium: 1180.8 mg
- Fat: 22.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 64.2 g
- Protein: 15.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0.5 mg
Keywords: vegan chicken, vegetarian chicken sandwich, tofu chicken