adapted from Rachel Schultz
- 2 cups of chicken, cooked and diced into small pieces
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 8 ounces of wild rice (half of a normal sized bag/ box)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 3–4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth (vegetable broth will also work)
- 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, grated and divided in half
- Garlic salt
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook quinoa and wild rice according to packaging. Set aside
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a large skillet heat your oil and then add in the celery, onion, garlic, and carrot. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes lower the heat to low and add in chicken, quinoa, and wild rice to the pan with the vegetables. Let sit while you max the cheese mixture.
- In a separate pan on medium heat, melt your butter. As soon as the butter has melted, whisk in your flour, chicken broth, and a little S&P. Continue stirring until the mixture starts to boil and then add in HALF of your cheese. Stir until the whole mixture is melted together. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Pour your quinoa rice chicken veggie mixture into a baking dish.
- Promptly pour the cheese mixture over top and top the casserole with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, let cool for a moment, and ENJOY!!