This vegetarian breakfast dish is SUPER easy to make but still so very satisfying!
- 1 15 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1–2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of kale, washed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup of fresh chopped leafy herbs (I used basil since it’s in season but cilantro, parsley, etc would be great! you can also mix them).
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 1-2 fried eggs (poached would be great as well!)
- Place your cleaned and dried chickpeas in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the minced garlic and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir to combine.
- If needed/ desired, add in more olive oil. I wanted to minimize the amount of oil I was adding in so instead, I added a bit of water to the skillet to keep it from getting to dry. Within minutes, the water is absorbed/ evaporated. Add even more if needed.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the chickpeas begin to crisp up.
- Salt and pepper to taste (this is a good time to add other spices if desired…turmeric maybe? or cumin?)
- Turn the heat to low and add in the kale and fresh herbs. Continue to cook until the greens are wilted. Take off of heat.
- Top with a fried egg and enjoy!!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: stovertop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegetarian breakfast, chickpea breakfast, kale breakfast, savory breakfast