This Chickpea Noodle Soup is perfect for when it’s cold out or you’re feeling under the weather! It’s packed with a variety of vegetables, herbs, chickpeas, pasta, and a rich and flavorful broth. Loaded with nourishing ingredients and full of flavor and comfort, this vegan version is just as good as the classic.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta of choice (I like something that’s bite sized for my toddler to eat)*
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 cups of vegetable broth
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste**
- optional: 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add in the onion, celery, carrots, and salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes as the veggies begin to soften.
- Stir in the garlic powder, rosemary, and turmeric. Cook for an additional minute. Add in the bay leaf, chickpeas, broth, pasta, and parsley.
- Raise the heat to bring the soup to a simmer and let simmer for 15 minutes or until the noodles are done to your likeness.
- Remove the bay leaf and if using, stir in the lemon juice. Serve immediately! I like to serve mine with a bit of fresh herbs as well as crackers.
*a noodle soup like this is often made with egg noodles. If you’re not vegan, you can use those. I used a simple spiral noodle for this which kept it vegan
**My daughter does not like black pepper and will not eat a meal with even a little in it. So I rarely use it when cooking these days but add as desired!
***This makes for great leftovers but the noodles do soak up A LOT of the liquid. I often like to stir in a little more broth as I’m reheating it
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 433
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Sodium: 1765.1 mg
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 72.7 g
- Protein: 14.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan soup, vegan chicken noodle soup, chickpea soup