This creamy Chickpea Pasta Recipe is tender penne pasta tossed in a rich and delicious cream sauce with sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil. Add a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and you’ll have a restaurant quality meal in the comfort of your own home.
- 1 box of chickpea pasta (~8 oz)
- 2 Tablespoons of butter (vegan as desired)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of broth (I use better than bouillon veggie broth)
- 1 cup of heavy cream (can swap this for coconut cream or oat milk)
- 1/4 cup of parmesan, grated*
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella*
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup of sun dried tomatoes, sliced (or whole as desired)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Once done, reserve ½ cup of the cooking liquid and then drain the pasta. Set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Slowly sprinkle in the flour, whisking it to make a paste. Pour in the broth and continue to whisk until the flour is fully dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Mix in the cream, parmesan + mozzarella, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the sun dried tomatoes, pasta, and basil. Stir to coat the pasta in the cheese sauce and add additional pasta water to thin out the sauce a bit as needed. I usually end up adding about ¼ cup of additional liquid. Serve and ENJOY!
Cheese: There are amazing vegan options if you want to swap the cheese for vegan mozzarella and parmesan. You could also swap the sauce for THIS vegan protein sauce that is very similar and so delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: chickpea pasta, creamy chickpea pasta