Creamy and comforting, this Chickpea Puff Pastry Pot Pie is loaded with tender chickpeas and plenty of veggies, all baked to perfection in a flaky puff pastry crust. This recipe is super tasty, satisfying and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. The perfect cozy dinner!
- 1/3 cup of butter (vegan as desired)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, diced*
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of veggie broth
- 1/2 cup of plant based milk
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables**
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (about 13oz)
- Optional egg wash OR milk for brushing
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F and grease a 9-inch pie pan or oven-safe skillet.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter (you can do this in the skillet you plan to bake it in). Once melted, add in the onion and celery and sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
- Mix in flour, salt and pepper and stir until the flour is fully combined.
- Slowly mix in the milk, adding it a little at a time and continuing to stir. Sir in the broth. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Stir in chickpeas and frozen veggies.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie pan (it’ll seem like almost too much filling, but it’s fine!).
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the sheet of puff pastry so that it’s roughly a 15-inch square. Cut out 3-inch squares, so that you end up with about 25 squares.
- Place the squares on top of the chickpea mixture, so that they’re overlapping a bit and the whole top of the pie is covered. Brush the top with an egg wash or a little bit of milk of choice.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let sit for about 10 minutes and enjoy!! The filling will be quite runny and messy and thickens up the longer that it sits.
*Celery is optional, but I just really like adding it in :D
**You can obviously sub this for 2 cups of fresh vegetables, you’ll just want to sauté them in a little oil over medium heat for about 8 minutes before adding them to the recipe.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan pot pie, chickpea puff pastry pot pie, puff pastry pot pie