Chocolate Cherry Vegan Coffee Cake is simple to make and so ridiculously delicious! It’s great as dessert, breakfast, or even just a mid-day snack.
For the bottom layer:
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of cane sugar
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil (or other similar tasteless oil)
- 1/2 cup of plant baked milk
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (you can use white vinegar if thats what you have)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of almond extract (vanilla also works)
- 1 heaping cup of fresh cherries, pitted and halved*
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips (really anything works here, chips or chunks, vegan if necessary)
For the top layer:
- 1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of cane sugar
- 1/3 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter, melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9″ round cake pan (you can also use square) with parchment paper for easy removal and grease the paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda + powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: plant based milk, oil, vinegar, and extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until just combined.
- Fold in the cherries and chocolate chips. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the topping: flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vegan butter. Mix together until fully combined.
- Using your hands, crumble the topping over the batter. Bake for 50-55 minutes. The top should be a nice golden brown color and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. let cool slightly and ENJOY!
*I haven’t tried it but I also think that this would work well with frozen berries
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan baking, vegan cake, cherry cake