Fun and festive holiday cookie bars that are easy to make and so delicious!
- ¾ cup of vegan butter, 8 tablespoons, softened*
- ¾ cup of light brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup of white sugar
- ⅓ cup of plant based milk, at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of all purpose flour*
- 2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips, additional for topping (For this skillet, I like to use a combo of chips and chunks of chocolate!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray (see not above for the specific one I’m using from Chicago Metallic).
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment (you can also do this in a large bowl with a hand mixer), cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Once fully combined, add in the milk and vanilla and mix until just combined. The mixture will look a little curdled but it’s okay!
- Add in the four, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate until mixed in. The dough will be a little sticky but should not stick to your hands excessively. If it’s too sticky, mix in a little extra flour.
- Pour the dough into your prepared pan and spread it out so that it’s evenly in the skillet. Pat the edges down a little so everything is as even as possible. Optional to top with sprinkles of choice (sprinkles are mandatory in our house).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cookie bars set, puffed up around the edges, and just starting to get a golden brown color.
*the butter does not need to be at room temperature but soft enough that it will easily cream together with the sugars. I’ve found this to be perfect at a little cooler, but close to, room temperature
*the only gluten free flour that I’ve ever tried with this recipe is a gluten free 1-1 flour (bob’s red mill and cup4cup are my favorite brands!)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: cookie bars, vegan cookies