For the cookies:
- ½ cup (1 stick) vegan butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten Free 1-1 Flour (or regular all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
For the frosting:
- 1 stick of butter softened
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla (or swap for peppermint extract)
- 1 teaspoon of milk (plus a bit more as needed)
- For topping: crushed peppermint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the softened vegan butter and sugar together in a stand mixer or using an electric handheld mixer for 2 minutes or until it comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat again for another minute, until light and fluffy. Add in the almond milk and extracts and mix until combined.
- Slowly combine the dry with the wet and beat until a dough has formed – about 2-3 minutes of mixing. Do not overmix – once the dough comes together, it’s ready.
- Move the dough to a floured surface. Roll the dough out to ¼ inch in thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out your cookies and carefully transfer them to a parchment lined cookie sheet, 1 inch between each cookie. Continue to re-roll the dough and cut out cookies until you have used all the dough.
- Place the sheet in the fridge for 10 minutes. This step is crucial for the cookies to maintain their shape or design. Bake straight from the fridge for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges. Remove and allow to cool.
- Make the frosting in a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) by whisking the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add in the sugar, vanilla, and milk and continue to mix until fully combined.
- Frost and decorate cookies as desired and enjoy!
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan cookies, vegan sugar cookies, egg free cookies, dairy free cookies