For the cupcakes:
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups of organic cane sugar or granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of espresso powder
- 2/3 cup of melted coconut oil (get unrefined if you want it to be virtually tasteless), vegetable or coanola oil also work
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups of milk, any kind works here (I tested it with almond milk and regular dairy milk), at room temperature*
- 1/2 cup of apple sauce unsweetened, at room temperature*
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature (vegan as desired)
- 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk of choice
- Crushed peppermint for garnish
- Natural Delights Truffles for garnish
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cupcake tins (makes roughly 18-20 cupcakes) and spray the inside of the liners with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together the apple cider vinegar and milk. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl with an electric mixer or even just a whisk), combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. Mix.
- Add in the oil, milk/ apple cider vinegar mixture, vanilla, almond extract, and apple sauce. Mix until just combined (be careful not to over mix), scrapping down the sides as needed.
- Pour the batter evenly between your cupcake tins filling each about 3/4 of the way full. I’ve made this where I filled them pretty high and got 18 cupcakes and another time where I ended up with 20.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool.
- While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting by adding the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer (this can also be done with a hand mixer). Cream for 2 minutes until lighter in color and smooth. Add in the milk, extract, and sugar. Beat on medium/ high speed for 2 full minutes until the frosting is fluffy and airy. As needed, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach your desired consistency.
- Pipe the icing on the cupcakes and top with crushed peppermint and Natural Delights truffles. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan holiday cupcakes, holiday cupcakes, peppermint cupcakes