Chocolate Waffles are easy to make, perfectly crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, and loaded with delicious chocolate flavor. These will be your new weekend favorite!
Flax Egg Substitute
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal/ ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons warm water
Vegan Buttermilk Substitute
- 2 cups dairy free milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Optional: ¼ cup of mini chocolate chips
Make the Flax Egg: Combine the ground flax seeds and water in a small bowl and set it aside until ready to use.
Make the Vegan Buttermilk: Combine the milk and lemon juice and in a small bowl and set it aside for five minutes.
Make the Waffles:
- Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flax egg, vegan buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until just combined– make sure not to over-mix! A few small lumps are okay. Fold in optional chocolate chips.
- Spray your waffle iron with nonstick spray and add enough batter to fill the waffle iron, leaving about 1” around the edge. In my 8” waffle iron, I use 1 cup of batter. Cook the batter until the waffle is golden brown and crisp around the edges– about 3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining waffles.
- See notes in the post about storing and freezing the waffles.
- Nutritional info does not include chocolate chips.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: waffle iron
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 waffle
Keywords: breakfast, dairy free, vegan vegetarian, waffles