Ridiculously easy and delicious Coconut Lentil Curry with Coconut Rice
For the lentil curry:
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of fine sea salt
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of ginger paste (or grated fresh ginger)
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup dried lentils (I used red but brown or green would also work well!)
- 3 cups of water
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of frozen peas
For the coconut rice:
- 15 ounce can of lite coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1 1/2 cups of long grain rice (I like jasmine or basmati in this recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
To make the lentil curry:
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil medium heat. Once hot, add in the garlic, onion, cumin, coriander, turmeric and salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, ginger, and water. Cook for 5 additional minutes or until the mixture is heated through and just beginning to show steam.
- Mix in the lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft and nearly cooked through. Be sure to stir during the cooking process to ensure that everything is cooking properly and the lentils aren’t sticking to the pot at all.
- Stir in the coconut milk, bell pepper, and frozen peas. Continue to simmer for 5-8 minutes or until the bell pepper is softened.
- Remove from heat and serve over the coconut rice!
To make the coconut rice:
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients EXCEPT the rice. Heat over medium high heat until the liquid just begins to show steam.
- Mix in the rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover, and let cook for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Stir often to avoid sticking.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: curry, lentil curry, vegan curry