- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, cool enough to be solid
- 6–8 tablespoons of ice water (6 tablespoons is typically perfect for me)
- If you’re planning to bake it right away, pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F and grease a standard 9″ pie dish.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add in the flour, salt, and sugar. Processor for a few seconds to combine.
- Add in the coconut oil and process for about 30 seconds or until it is well combined and no visible chunks are left. This can also be done by hand, it just takes a bit longer. (see notes above)
- Starting with 4 tablespoons, add in the ice water and process to combine. Add in 1-2 more tablespoons at a time until the dough gently sticks together when bunched up in your hand. See video above for specifics. At no point should the dough be sticky!
- Separate the dough into 2 balls, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- On a well floured surface with floured hands and a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough into a disk large enough to fit your pie pan.
- If not ready to bake immediately*, put the dough in the fridge for up to an hour. When ready, fill your crust and bake for 5 minutes with tin foil around the edges of the crust. Take the tin foil off and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
**UPDATE: I have received a lot of questions about this crust. If you want to see me make and trouble shoot this, step by step on my Instagram Stories, click HERE.**
If you don’t need both balls of dough, the other one can be stored in a ball in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for a few months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: crust, vegan, dairy free, coconut oil