This EASY and delicious Copycat Chipotle Sofritas recipe comes together in no time and tastes JUST like the original! You’re going to love it!
- 14 ounce block of extra firm tofu, pressed*
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of finely diced onion
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup of broth
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic
- For servings: cilantro lime rice, homemade guacamole, black beans, corn, salsa, cilantro or whatever burrito bowl toppings you desire
- Prep the tofu: Drain your block of tofu and press it for about 15 minutes (either using a tofu press or following the directions in the notes*). Once pressed, pat dry and break into chunks (I usually do this into a large bowl) about the size of a quarter. When in doubt, I aim for slightly larger than I want as it usually breaks up a bit in the cooking process.
- Make the sauce: in a stand mixer or blender, combine the adobo pepper, adobo sauce, broth, tomato paste, maple syrup, salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, apple cider vinegar, and garlic cloves. Blend until creamy and few chunks remain.
- Cook the sofritas: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add in the onion and tofu chunks. Spread it into an even layer and let sit, without, stirring, for about 2-3 minutes. Stir and repeat this a few times (cooking for a total of about 8-10 minutes). You want to get the tofu nice and browned but watch that it’s not burning at all. Turn down the heat if it’s starting to burn.
- Add in the sofritas sauce that you made and stir to combine. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes so that it’s heated through.
- Serve: I like to eat this as a traditional burrito bowl by serving it with cilantro lime rice, black beans, salsa, and guacamole. Bonus points if you also make some sauteed veggies!
*To press your tofu without a tofu press, wrap it in a lint free kitchen towel (or paper towels) and place it on a rimmed baking sheet (to catch the excess liquid. Balance a heavy skillet on top of the tofu and weigh it down with something heavy such as a few cans. Let it sit like this for 15 minutes to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 854.1 mg
- Fat: 13.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.3 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 1.2 mg
Keywords: chipotle sofritas, homemade sofritas, vegan burrito bowl