Delicious Crockpot Potato Soup is loaded with flavor and made with potatoes, onions, garlic and cheddar cheese, all in a thick and creamy broth. An easy dinner option that’s hearty, comforting and the whole family will love!
- 2 pounds of potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces (I used yukon gold)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of broth (I used veggie broth)
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk (can use any milk that you prefer- for a thicker soup, I suggest whole milk or even half and half)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- In a crockpot, combine onion, potatoes, garlic, and broth. Cook on higher for 3-4 hours or low for about 6 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you’re ready to serve the soup, make your flour mixture. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Once melted, whisk in the flour and cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the milk and bring to a simmer. Cook for an additional couple of minutes until the sauce has thickened considerably.
- Pour the sauce, shredded cheese, sour cream, and salt and pepper into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Using an immersion blender (or regular blender if needed), puree about ⅓ of the soup (or more if desired).
- Top with your favorite potato fixings and ENJOY!
Storing & Freezing Tips: Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to about 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop. I don’t recommend freezing this soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 729 mg
- Fat: 13.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.7 g
- Protein: 9.5 g
- Cholesterol: 37.9 mg
Keywords: slow cooker, crockpot, potato soup