Easy and delicious vegan apple turnovers!
- 2 tablespoons of butter (vegan as desired)
- 4 medium apples, peeled and chopped (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1/3 cup of packed light brown sugar (coconut sugar would also work well!)
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- Pinch of all spice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Milk of choice for brushing (about 2 tablespoons)
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the apple filling. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once fully melted, add in the chopped apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and cornstarch. Stir to combine and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes. You want the apples to be tender and the sauce rather thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry sheet so that it’s about 12″ x 12″. Cut it into 4 6-inch squares. (see video above for reference)
- Evenly divide the apple filling among the 4 pieces of puff pastry placing it in the middle of each sheet.
- Brush the edges of the dough with the milk and then fold the dough over the apple filling so that it creates a triangle. Press the edges together to ensure that they’re fully sealed. Crimp the edges with a fork and place the turnovers on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cut a few small slits in the top of the turnovers and brush the tops evenly with the milk. Optional: sprinkle the turbinado sugar over the tops.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are a nice golden brown. Let cool slightly and ENJOY!
Store leftovers in an air-tight container for 3-4 days.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan desserts, vegan apple turnovers, easy apple turnovers