- 2 cups of raw hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup of chocolate (I prefer dark in this recipe)
- pinch of salt
- optional: 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup or coconut sugar (or other sweetener) depending on the sweetness of the chocolate
- In an oven heated to 375 degrees F, roasted the hazelnuts for 8 minutes. Let cool slightly and then place the nuts on a dish towel and rub them between the towel to remove the skins. You likely won’t be able to remove the skins completely but I aim for 50-60% removed.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the roasted hazelnuts. Depending on your processor, this can take up to about 8 minutes. See photos above. After about 2 minutes, it will turn into a thick paste and eventually it will turn into a creamy butter.
- Melt your chocolate either in a double boiler or the microwave (which is what I usually do).
- Add in the chocolate and salt and blend until combined.
- Category: sauce
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: nutella, hazelnuts, vegan