PERFECT sautéed tofu with a delicious creamy tahini sauce!
- 14 ounce block of tofu
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil (I usually use olive oil)
- salt and pepper to taste if not tossing in a sauce
- optional other spices of choice
For the creamy tahini sauce:
- 1/4 cup of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or agave
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 an inch of ginger root, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Start by prepping the tofu. If you have a tofu press, you can use that. Otherwise, wrap the tofu in a dish towel and place it on a rimmed plate or baking sheet. balance a large skillet or pan on top of the tofu block and weigh it down with something heavy (I usually use a couple of cans). Make sure that it’s evenly pressing down on the tofu and not lop sided. Press for 15 minutes.
- Pat the tofu dry and cut it into 1/2-1 inch cubes. Mine usually end up about 2/3 of an inch thick on all sides. If you’re not planning to toss this in the sauce, you can now toss the tofu with a bit of salt and pepper and any other spices that will go well with your dish.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the tofu in a single layer. Watch the tofu but do not touch it for at least 5 minutes. The bottom will form a nice crust after about 5 minutes at which time you can flip it and continue to cook it on all sides, about 10 more minutes. In my skillet a few pieces on the edges stuck a little but most turned out perfect. Continue to cook until you reach your desired level of crispiness.
- While the tofu cooks, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients. Toss the sauce into the skillet with the tofu and cook for a couple of additional minutes until thickened a bit and heated through.
- Serve and ENJOY!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan dinner, tofu recipe, vegan recipes