The BEST Strawberry Shortcake recipe that’s vegan, dairy free, and so easy to make! Perfect for strawberry season!
- 1 1/2 pounds of strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 5 tablespoons of sugar (you can use coconut sugar if desired), divided
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 13.5 ounce (right at 1.5 cups) can of full fat coconut milk
- Coconut whipped cream for serving (linked my favorite recipe from Minimalist Baker)
- In a large bowl, mix together the strawberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside while you make the shortcake.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray a medium baking dish. I used a 10 x 7 inch ceramic dish but something similar to a 8 x 8 inch pan will also work!
- Open your can of coconut milk and mix it so that the thick part is mixed together with the watery part. You might need to pour it into a separate bowl and lightly whisk it together so that it is combined. Set Aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, as well as the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the middle and pour in the mixed can of coconut milk. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes until set and lightly brown around the edges. Let cool slightly and remove from the pan to cool more.
- Once ready to enjoy, cut the shortcake into 6 different pieces (you could make them smaller if desired) and top evenly with the strawberries and coconut whipped cream.
Recipe adapted from the Food Network
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 16.6 g
- Sodium: 415.7 mg
- Fat: 8.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.6 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan dessert, dairy free cake, strawberry shortcake recipe