Easy Vegan Meatballs- these vegetarian meatballs are so simple to make and perfect for delicious weeknight meals!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 8 ounces of cremini mushrooms, sliced or roughly chopped (we’ll be blending them later so size doesn’t matter)
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice (I used basmati rice but brown rice or even another grain such as quinoa would work well)*
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Oil for frying
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute the onion and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to a food processor along with the rice, flour, bread crumbs, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pulse until everything is combined and comes together.
- Form the mixture into golf ball sized meatballs and set aside.
- TO FRY: In the same skillet pour in enough oil to fully cover the bottom of the skillet (I end up using about 1 1/2- 2 tablespoons of oil). Set over medium heat. Once hot, add in the meatballs so that they’re not overcrowded. Cook until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Add more oil as needed so that skillet has a thin layer covering it.
- TO BAKE: Place the uncooked meatballs on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 10 minutes, flip, and bake an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with spaghetti or however you enjoy your meatballs :D
*I used brown rice in the video and having tried both a few times, I think that I prefer these with brown rice. It’s also ideal that the rice be fresh so that it’s stickier and has more moisture.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: italian, vegan, vegetarian meatballs, vegan dinner