This Vegan sushi is made with simple ingredients and great for those new to making sushi at home! So easy and so delicious!
- 2 cup of uncooked sushi rice*
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- ½ tablespoons of grated ginger
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of oil (love toasted sesame oil in this recipe!)
- 1/2 block (~8 ounces) of extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into 1/2 inch long strips (see photos and video for reference)*
- 1 large (or 2 small) carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ of a cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 5–6 Nori sheets
- Cook your rice according to package instructions. Once done, place in a large bowl in the fridge to cool down.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the soy sauce, maple syrup, cornstarch, ginger, garlic, and water. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the tofu and saute for 5 minutes untouched. Once it has formed a nice crust, flip and cook for a few more minutes on each side, about 12 minutes total. Add in the sauce and cook for a few more minutes, tossing often, so that the sauce can thicken. Stir to ensure the tofu is evenly coated in the sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once rice is cooled down, mix in the rice vinegar and white wine vinegar and set aside.
- Assemble the sushi by placing a nori sheet on a sushi mat*. Spread 2/3 cup of the cooked rice over the nori sheet, leaving about 2/3 of an inch clean on one end (see video). Top with some of the cucumber, 2 pieces of the tofu, carrots, and 2 slices of avocado. Roll the nori sheet over top of the fillings and continue to gently and *tightly* roll the sheet until it’s all the way rolled up. Repeat will the remaining ingredients (I end up with 5-6 rolls depending on how I filled them).
- Slice into 1 inch pieces and ENJOY! I LOVE mine with a little sliced ginger and a touch of soy sauce.
*You want Japanese SHORT GRAIN rice. It has a distinctly sticky texture to it that is essential for making sushi. Long grain rice, such as basmati, will not work in this recipe (I’ve tried it!).
*firm tofu will also work well
*this can be done without a sushi mat as well!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan sushi, vegetarian sushi, tofu sushi