This French Onion Grilled Cheese is super simple to make and absolutely delicious! A great way to level up your grilled cheese game!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 thick slices of your favorite bread
- 2 tablespoon of room temperature butter
- 1 cup of shredded Gruyere cheese, lightly packed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar
- In a skillet or saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Once hot, add in the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 50-60 minutes. Halfway through cooking, add a pinch of sugar and a dash of salt. If the onions begin to burn at all, turn the heat down lower. The idea here is low and slow.
- When the onions are nearly done, prepare the bread. Butter one side of each piece of bread and then place the pieces butter side down. Top 2 slices with 1/3 cup of the cheese each (leaving 1/3 of the cheese remaining).
- Once the onions are done, divided them evenly on top of the two pieces of cheesy bread. Divide the remaining cheese evenly among the 2 sandwiches. Add black pepper to taste and then top with the other slices of bread, butter side up.
- Lightly clean out the skillet used for the onions and put over medium-low heat. Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: sandwiches
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: grilled cheese, gruyere grilled cheese