Deliciously crunchy on the outside and perfectly tender on the inside, these French Toast Sticks are the BEST breakfast treat! Rich, buttery and coated in an irresistible cinnamon sugar mixture, this recipe is easy to make and tastes so much better than anything from the store.
- 6 thickly cut slices of bread (I used brioche)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- Prepare the bread by cutting off all of the crust and then cutting each slice into square(ish) sticks. See video and photos for reference.
- In a shallow bowl or pie dish, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt and whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl big enough for a stick of the bread to fit in, mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, once hot, spray with cooking spray.
- Working in batches, dip the bread in the milk mixture. I dip it in quickly (you don’t want it to soak up too much of the liquid), turn it over, and give it another quick dip. Place in the hot pan.
- Cook the french toast for 2 minutes per side, flipping ¼ every couple of minutes, for a total of about 8 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Spray each stick lightly with cooking spray and then toss in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup and ENJOY
- Storing leftovers. Store any leftover sticks in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 days.
- Reheating. For best results reheat these in the toaster, air fryer, oven or toaster oven. If you reheat them in the microwave, they’ll still be tasty but not very crispy.
- Freezing. Freeze the cooked French toast sticks in a single layer on a baking pan. Once they are frozen firm you can slide them into a zip top freezer bag to store for up to 2 months in the freezer. You can then reheat from frozen.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 31 g
- Sodium: 972.8 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 61.3 g
- Protein: 12.6 g
- Cholesterol: 140.7 mg
Keywords: French toast, French toast sticks