This recipe for General Tso’s Tofu features crispy tofu pieces tossed in a sweet-savory sauce. A vegan twist on the takeout favorite that’s quick and easy to make at home and even more delicious than what you’d get in a restaurant!
FOR THE TOFU:
- 14–16 oz block of firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of oil
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon of hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of ginger paste (or 2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger)
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of chili paste
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3/4 cup of veggie broth
- Red pepper flakes for serving
- Prepare the tofu by pressing the liquid out. HERE is my full guide on pressing tofu with AND without a tofu press. Once pressed, tear the tofu into large bite-sized chunks. Mine were all roughly an inch long and varied in size a little. Don’t worry too much about the size and shape. The idea is for it to have rough edges to give the tofu a little more texture and to hold onto flavors a little better. You can also just cut it into cubes if you prefer.
- Place the tofu chunks into a large bowl and sprinkle on the cornstarch, a good pinch of fine sea salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Toss to combine so that the tofu is mostly covered in the cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in the tofu and cook for about 10 minutes, tossing often so that it gets browned on all sides. Once done, remove tofu from the skillet and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by whisking together the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, chili paste, brown sugar, sesame oil, cornstarch, and broth.
- Gently wipe clean the skillet you used for the tofu and place it back over medium heat. Add in the sauce and cook, stirring often, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the tofu back to the skillet and toss to coat completely in the sauce. Cook for 2 additional minutes and then remove from the heat. Serve and ENJOY!
- Prep-ahead. Up to about a day in advance, whisk together sauce ingredients, but don’t cook yet. Prep and tear the tofu into pieces, but wait to coat in the cornstarch. Store each in separate containers in the refrigerator.
- Leftovers. Leftover General Tso’s Tofu stores really well! Place any extras in an airtight container and refrigerate. It will keep fresh for about 4 to 5 days.
- To reheat. Rewarm in a pot or skillet on the stovetop or pop it in the microwave to reheat. Reheating tofu in the skillet will crisp-up the tofu best.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese, American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 7.9 g
- Sodium: 1161.6 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.5 g
- Protein: 11.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0.1 mg
Keywords: General Tso Tofu, tofu