- 1 1/2 cup of white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar (can also use brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain almond milk
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted (I used vegan butter)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of poppy seeds
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
1 tablespoon of almond milk (plus more if needed)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F and spray (or line) a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, sift together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the wet ingredients and then mix them into the bowl with the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the muffins tins and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Optional: to make icing, whisk together the powdered sugar and almond milk until fully combined and creamy.
- If desired, top with icing once cooled and ENJOY!!