Learn how to cook asparagus on the stovetop in less than 15 minutes with optional ingredients for flavoring. This quick and easy Stovetop Asparagus is a great side dish for spring and the perfect accompaniment to almost any meal.
- 1 pound of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup of water for steaming
- Salt + pepper to taste
Optional for serving:
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Shredded parmesan or other cheese
- Cut the white ends off of the asparagus (see video for reference) and place into a large skillet.
- Pour in the water and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover the skillet and cook until the asparagus is tender to your liking. Thicker asparagus will take 5-7 minutes and thinner asparagus may only need 2 minutes. If all of the water evaporates, you can add in another 1 to 2 tablespoons.
- Remove from the heat and drain out any remaining water. Optional step: place the asparagus in the dry skillet over medium heat and add in the butter as well as a sprinkle of garlic powder. Cook until the butter is fully melted and toss to coat all of the asparagus.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and lemon juice as desired!
Asparagus is best served when it’s freshly cooked, but it will keep at room temperature for up to 1 hour or up to 4 days in the refrigerator (gently reheat before serving).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: side
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: asparagus on stovetop, how to cook asparagus on the stovetop, asparagus recipe stovetop