Learn how to cook wild rice on the stovetop and in the Instant Pot in this easy recipe! Wild rice is a delicious whole grain that’s packed with nutrients. It’s super versatile and can be seasoned a variety of ways. Use it as a simple side dish, add it to salads and use it to make grain bowls!
- ½ cup whole grain wild rice
- 1 ¾ cups water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Add the rice, water, and salt to the Instant Pot and attach the lid. Ensure the valve is in the sealing position and set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook-Manual for 20 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, release any additional pressure by switching the valve to the venting position.
- Drain any excess liquid and fluff the rice with a fork. Season it as desired.
- Add the rice, water, and salt to a medium saucepan set over medium high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and then cover with a tightly fitting lid.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the rice for 45 minutes, or until it is tender.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and season as desired.
- This recipe is for whole grain wild rice, not cracked wild rice or wild rice mix as they cook faster than traditional wild rice.
- I usually cook my rice in water although you could substitute vegetable or chicken stock for even more flavor.
- A bit of salt will help add flavor to the rice while it’s cooking!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Instant Pot Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop or Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 71
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 160.5 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: wild rice recipe, how to cook wild rice, wild rice instant pot