I’m going to show you how to press your tofu with and without the use of a tofu press!
1 block of firm or extra firm tofu
Equipment: 1) a tofu press OR 2) A rimmed plate, lint free kitchen towel, heavy skillet or pot, something heavy to weigh it down such as cans
How to use a tofu press:
- Take your tofu out of the packaging and discard any excess liquid for the package. Place the tofu into the press so that it is even. Tighten the press down (the way to do this varies based on the kind you use) and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Tighten a little more (being careful that it’s not too tight or else the tofu might crack) and let press for 5 additional minutes. Once done, remove from the press and use in your favorite tofu recipes!
- For reference: I usually get about 1/2 cup of excess liquid out of a 15 ounce block of extra firm tofu.
How to press tofu without a press:
- Take your tofu out of the packaging and discard any excess liquid for the package.
- Wrap the block of tofu in a lint free towel (or you can use paper towels for this) and place it in the middle of a rimmed plate or baking sheet.
- Place a cast iron skillet, dutch oven, or equally large and heavy object on top of the tofu and make sure it’s balanced evenly (or else you tofu will press uneven).
- On top of the skillet, place several heavy objects to aid the press (see video for reference).
- Let sit for 30 minutes. You should end up with roughly 1/3-1/2 cup of excess liquid from your 15 ounce block of tofu.
- Remove objects, towel, and use the tofu in your favorite recipes!
- Category: Tofu
- Method: pressing
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: hot to press tofu, tofu press, delicious tofu