This Jackfruit Carnitas recipe is so simple to make and a truly delicious way to enjoy jackfruit! My favorite thing to do with it is make jackfruit carnitas tacos YUM!
For the carnitas:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ of a sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 2 20 oz. cans of jackfruit in brine or water seeds removed, drained, rinsed and squeezed of excess liquid
- 3 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of orange juice (from ~2 oranges)
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
For the tacos:
- cilantro for serving
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and then lightly pat it dry. Cut off the core so that you’re only left with the outer parts that are the ones easy to shred. The core is the part that comes to a point.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add in the oil. Once hot, add in the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, salt and pepper and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add in the jackfruit, stir, and saute for 2 more minutes. Using the back of a wooden spoon or spatula, lightly mash the jackfruit to break it up. It’ll break apart a bit more as it cooks but feel free to shred it a bit in the pan as desired.
- Mix in the chili powder, oregano, bay leaves, brown sugar, orange juice, lime juice, and broth. Stir and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat and let simmer gently, uncovered, for about 14-16 minutes. Stir often as the liquid continues to reduce.
- Once all of the liquid as evaporated (see photo above), remove the bay leaves and place the jackfruit onto the prepared baking sheet and evenly spread out.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Enjoy as tacos or however you wish!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: tacos
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan tacos, jackfruit carnitas, jackfruit carnitas tacos