A vegan take on a classic: Jackfruit Pot Roast
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced into 1 inch chunks
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of dry red wine (can sub for additional broth)
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 cups of veggie broth
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 pound of red potatoes cut into quarters or halves depending on preferred size
- 1 pound of baby carrots
- 18 ounces of young jackfruit (if you buy jackfruit in a can, look to get 18 ounces of DRAINED jackfruit)*
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In an extra large skillet or stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for one additional minute. Add in the jackfruit and cook over medium for one more minute.
- Now add in the red wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer.
- In a measuring cup/ bowl, whisk together the broth and cornstarch until fully combined and then mix into the skillet with the jackfruit. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the jackfruit mixture over top of the carrots and potatoes and bake for 40 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender and ready to eat. Let cool slightly and enjoy!
- For a prettier presentation like in my photos: remove as much of the jackfruit as possible to a separate plate. Spoon the veggies onto a serving tray and then top with the jackfruit in the middle. You can pour any remaining sauce over the top or serve it on the side as a gravy. YUM!
- I bought 2 packages (18 ounces total) of the Jackfruit Company Lightly Seasoned Jackfruit and really like that kind for this recipe. You can actually get it on amazon HERE
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan holiday meal, vegan thanksgiving main, vegan main dish, jackfruit recipe