Looking for a super tasty, crowd-pleasing dinner option? Lentil Chili with incredible bold flavors coming right up! This lentil chili recipe is a hearty and healthy plant-based chili filled with lentils, beans, tomatoes, and plenty of delicious spices! An easy one pot dinner option that the whole family will love!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups of vegetable broth (plus more as desired)
- 1 cup of uncooked lentils
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt and more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients: broth, lentils, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney and black beans, cocoa powder, salt + pepper, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, COVER, and cook until the lentil are soft and ready to eat, 25- 30 minutes.
- Once lentils are ready, add additional liquid as desired. I prefer this chili on the thicker side but feel free to add additional veggie broth if you want it a little more soupy.
- Remove from heat, serve with your favorite toppings and ENJOY!
Beans: I used a can of black beans and a can of kidney beans but really you can use 2 (15oz) cans of whatever beans you’d prefer.
Lentils: I recommend using brown or green lentils for this recipe. If you’d like to use red lentils, just know that it will not need to cook as long. I haven’t tried this recipe with split red lentils but my guess is that it would only need to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lentils, chili, vegan