This Vegan Meatloaf is filled with whole-foods ingredients and is so easy to throw together!
For the lentil loaf:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ of a small white onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped*
- 1 rib of celery, chopped*
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 ounces of cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups of cooked green or brown lentils (do not use red as the loaf will end up too mushy)**, divided
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt + 1/2 teaspoon of pepper + more to taste
- 1 cup of quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour or oat flour
- 1 tablespoons of soy sauce
For the topping:
- 1 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9×5″ loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt and saute for 8 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- To the base of a food processor, add in HALF of the cooked lentils, slightly cooked veggie mixture, flax seed, Italian seasoning, salt + pepper, oats, flour, and soy sauce. Pulse about 10 times until it is combined and just small chunks of carrot remain (see photo for reference).
- Add in the remaining lentils and pulse 3-4 more times. Some large chunks of lentils will remain and that’s what we want.
- Spread the lentil mixture evenly into your prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients: brown sugar, mustard, and ketchup. Spread the topping evenly over the top of the lentil loaf.
- Bake the loaf for 35-40 minutes or until it starts to darken around the edges. Let the loaf cool for at least 10 minutes. Use the parchment paper to lift the loaf out of the pan, slices and ENJOY!
*we’ll be putting the veggies in the food processor once they’re sauteed so the exact size doesn’t matter too much
**1 cup of DRY lentils= ~ 2.5 cups of COOKED lentils. I usually make 1 cup of dried and then measure them out before adding to this recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 10.2 g
- Sodium: 867 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Protein: 14.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan meatloaf, lentil loaf, healthy meatloaf, vegetarian meatloaf