This Mexican Street Corn Salad, also known as Esquites, is SO simple to make and SUCH a delicious summer side dish!
- 4 ears of corn*
- 2 tablespoons of Crema Mexican Agria Sour Cream*
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon of chipotle chili powder (regular works as well)
- 1 small bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely diced (remove the seeds as desired)
- 1/3 cup of cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup of Cilantro, chopped
- optional for garnish: extra cheese, cilantro, limes
- Heat your grill to roughly 400 degrees F.
- You can grill the corn with the husks on or off. I took the husks off to ensure that I got some nice grill marks on the corn and because I feel like it gives it a nice grilled flavor. FOR HUSKS ON: let your corn soak in water for 10 minutes before grilling. FOR HUSKS OFF: lightly spray spray each cob with cooking spray.**
- Place the corn on the grill and grill for roughly 12 minutes, turning the cobs 1/4 turn every 3 minutes. Let the corn cool enough to handle and then carefully cut the corn from the cob and place in a large bowl.
- Make the sauce by stirring together the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, lime zest and juice, and chili powder.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, cotija cheese, and cream sauce. Toss to combine so that all of the corn is covered in the sauce.
- Garnish with additional cheese and cilantro and ENJOY!
For the corn: you can also use 2 cans of corn to make the recipe a little easier. I suggest getting “fire-roasted” canned corn if you can find it!
For the sour cream: Cacique makes a greatMexican sour cream and is my preferred brand that is widely available in the US. It’s a little thinner than regular sour cream HOWEVER regular sour cream will work as well in this recipe if that’s what you have
To cook the corn: You can also make this by cooking the corn in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray the husked corn on the cob with cooking spray and wrap in foil individually. Roast for 20-25 minutes
To store leftovers: store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for a few days.
To make this VEGAN: to make this vegan simply swap the mayo and sour cream for vegan versions. For the cheese, I highly suggest using a vegan feta. I’ve made this recipe with Violife’s crumbled feta and it’s SO GOOD!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: grilling
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: mexican street corn salad, esquites, street corn cups